entriesaboutchatlinks

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>
<$BlogItemTitle$> @ <$BlogItemDateTime$>

<$BlogItemBody$>
-->

Thursday 20 October 2011

Lana Del Ray – “when you walked out that door a piece of me died”


Majority of the time I hate social networking or online services suggesting that you “like”, “befriend”, “watch” or “listen” to something. 9 times out of 10 the robotic systematic like suggestions are a little misjudged and there is always an underlying reason I don’t “ like” someone or something.

On the odd occasion there are a few gems to be discovered. Recently upon logging into Spotify I was commanded to check out Lana Del Rey. The airbrushed portrait that accompanied the ‘flag’ didn’t quite float my boats (apart from the hauntingly beautiful being clad in a very chic outfit. Alas I wasn’t wooed. I resisted pressing play)

 Upon flicking through one of my monthly glossy magazines, GQ Style I think. I stumbled upon a piece containing the hottest new acts, low and behold Miss Del Rey was included and a little less photo shopped may I add

Intrigued so I was….. I got home logged in and allowed the melodic phrases, elegant harmony and lyrical starkness cascade over my wafer thin ear drums, oww how they and my heart started to beat!!! By the second bar of the first verse my skin was wrapped in coldness, hairs standing on end, shivers literally running down my spine, lump in the throat and an emotional, unnecessary crystalline tear streaming down my cheek; “the timbre of a voice shouldn’t be so beautiful” I uttered to myself in the solitude of my room.

Born Elizabeth Grant in Windhoek Namibia. Now 24 and on the brink of super stardom she goes by her stage name Lana Del Rey derived from one of the most glamorous Hollywood stars ever to grace the planet, Lana Turner and the not so glitzy Ford ‘Del Rey’ automobile.













Upon playing “blue jeans” on repeat its safe to say I am totally encapsulated by her talents let alone her looks, both of which could easily bring the loudest most hectic room to a standstill.


I have an open mind musically but I find myself totally underwhelmed upon listening to skeletal tracks. As bare as Del Rey’s statements are I am humbled in the tranquillity, soothing quality and atmospherics of her compositions. A sucker for anything moody, melancholy and emotive.


A friend kindly played forced me to watch her self made music videos, even these were seamless. Political, current and a tad humorous.  As we discussed her untouchable talents the questions arose, is she the Chris Isaak of our times? Is she going to keep her naturally beautiful "bubblegum waitress" looks? Is she going to succumb to executive pressures and sell-out?? I do hope Del Rey manages to stand up to the execs allowing her morals to prevail and become a superstar for her vocal and musical virtuosity. The short venture down the path of media whore is a quick and easy way to make a dollar but you write your own fate in this life.. How do YOU want to be remembered?




Lana Del Rey is an extremely interesting and intelligent individual, definitely worth lending your ears to. Is it normal to fall in love with someone you have never met? Lana, the ring awaits!


“I will love you till the end of time
I would wait a million years
Promise you’ll remember that you’re mine
Baby can you see through the tears
Love you more than more than those bitches before
Say you’ll remember, oh baby, say you’ll remember
I will love you till the end of time”

Blue Jeans