entriesaboutchatlinks

<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>
<$BlogItemTitle$> @ <$BlogItemDateTime$>

<$BlogItemBody$>
-->

Sunday 19 June 2011

ECA

Today I ventured across to the capital, Edinburgh. The reason... I had to go check out two newly graduated students of the Edinburgh College of Art. One, a fine artists just completing a 7 year course in combined studies (a broad study of painting, glass, jewellery, drawing, photography, printmaking and soft sculpture).

I particularly  loved a blurry b&w photo of an abandoned run down house that had been developed with a subtle silk screening in one corner.

Annes work was titled "New Life PNK"
http://www.eca.ac.uk/degreeshow2011/showcase.php5?id=933



Also had to see an old colleague's work in the Fashion and design arena. (the only menswear collection that I noticed) His work was stellar, stand out from the rest of the somewhat garish "college" output that to my untrained eye looked a little rushed and in some places unfinished. Felix's designs could easily have been sold in Oki-ni or Liberty's among the racks of Margiela and Raf Simons. Truly one to watch. Easily have bought his entire collection. 

The clothes spoke for themselves but the drawings and concept presented in his folio was what really blew me away.

The collection was names "Kin"

The final project that I really liked was this, right here... check check check this out -

Most of the other displays on show were for me a touch sterile and what I consider art students work to turn out like. Especially the performance costume students.... dire.